Tuesday, January 23, 2007

15/1/07 - NYC-Philadelphia - Day 19

Sean felt a bit better, but certainly didn't look it. He got his stuff together and left the hotel room for the first time since Saturday night. He caught a taxi back to his friend's place in Harlem, and crashed out in a chair. Meanwhile, we all boarded the bus, and freeway'd it through New Jersey - driving for what seemed like hours through what I think was mostly industrial wasteland. Some photos from the trip - sorry if they're a bit dark - it was really foggy outside.






The taxi-way at Newark Airport. I've never seen so many planes queueing for takeoff!

Helen Sherman, and a few others had come down with various chest infections, and more people had come down with the tummy-bug. :(

Once we arrived in Philly, we dropped off those that were being billetted at St. Mark's, the church where we'd be singing Evensong the following (Tuesday) night. They were then free to roam the town, while those who chose to stay in a hotel continued on to the Holiday Inn Historic District. Whilst checking in, it seems the travel agent didn't include a room voucher for myself, so I had to pay for a room for two nights myself. Thanks to Phillip though, he telephoned the travel agent in Sydney, who then faxed across the paperwork, so in the end I didn't have to pay for anything extra. Mark Stubley, Danny and I decided a walk was in order. We'd decided we wanted to hear the Wanamaker Organ - situated in the central court area of a 6-storey shopping centre. I'd read that it gets played every day, and wondered if we were in luck to hear someone putting it through its paces. Upon arrival, we found out that there was a recital scheduled for 5.30pm that day. We wondered through Philly some more, and were instantly charmed by the city's architecture.



Mark suggested we try and see if St Clement's was open for a look-see, so off we went. I was doubtful as it was a public holiday that day, and I thought it wouldn't be open, but as luck would have it - it was!

Some pictures...




We returned to Macy's (aka the Wanamaker Store) for their 5.30pm recital. I think the poor organist would have been 90 if a day, and played like it too...a few variations on Lift up your heads (Handel) and then some variations on Twinkle, twinkle...then it was enough.

Stubley had his "fun map" guide handy, and had sussed out a few venues for an evening bevvy or 3. First up was Bump, a rather nice what looked to be a wine/martini bar. They served a wonderful array of tapas type dishes, and was very excited to receive some fried pork dumplings, rather like those at Shanghai China Night in Ashfield!!

After Bump (where I lost my nice scarf I bought in Canterbury :(( ), we adjourned to Woody's, which I was informed was the place to go by Jason Groves' friend Donald. It turns out that it was karaoke night upstairs, so Rajah, Phillip and I made our way up the stairs, the others wanting an early night, as they still weren't feeling quite right after being ill. It seems I acquired a stalker of sorts - a "charming" black man named Chris. Phillip kindly let slip where we were singing the following night - thank you, Phillip! Phillip and Rajah departed after a few numbers, and left me with the bloody stalker! He then suggested we try another bar (which was a few streets from my hotel), where I met his (drug-addled and incoherent) cousin. Great. He started rifling through his jacket, looking for something. I asked what he was looking for, and he said "some drugs I am supposed to drop off to a friend here". Great - I am being taken on a drug-run with a complete fruitloop. I bought him a drink, and bolted out of there, saying I had to be up early. Nicely done, Daniel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home