Saturday, January 13, 2007

7/1/07 – Day 11

One last day in London, and what better way to spend it than roaming around doing all the stuff that I hadn’t yet had time to do. At 1pm, I met up with Adam and Jon at St Paul’s Cathedral (they were heading back to Sheffield that night), and lunched at Gourmet Burger Kitchen (if my memory serves me correctly!), where I had the most delicious burger ever, with bacon and cheese, etc. etc. We then wondered down to Tower Bridge, where we went on a tour of the structure, walking across the two horizontal bridge parts, which also have camera portals so you don’t have to look through a smudgy window in order to take happy snaps.


St Paul's Cathedral

Afterwards, we walked back to the north bank of the river, past the Tower of London, had something warm to drink at a café, then proceeded to Piccadilly Circus to try for some decent night-time photography. I was very pleased with the results!


We said our goodbyes, and I went on to All Saints’ Margaret Street for their Epiphany Carol Service, meeting up with Mark Stubley and Danny Burley beforehand. I’d heard so much about this place (and its characters!) from many friends – Peter Jewkes, Groves and Stubley – and I wasn’t disappointed. An absolutely beautiful service, and a fine building also! I introduced myself to the Rector and Curate, both lovely people. One very sensible thing about this church, is that they have a bar (!) underneath the building itself, opening after services with the full compliment of beers, wines and spirits available to purchase. Jason Groves introduced me to Bp. Ambrose, who although retired, was once a Navy chaplain, and worked on the QE2!

Feeling peckish, Groves and I met up with an American friend of his, Donald, and a solicitor friend Aidan at Ballams’ in Soho and had a wonderful dinner – lamb! something I hadn’t had since leaving Sydney.

Arriving home at 11.30pm and a little drunk, it was time to pack! I’d put the last of my washing on that morning, so it was all nice and dry by the evening. I lost patience with folding, so just threw everything into the suitcases, thinking it would all fit. How wrong I was! Sitting on it to get it to close certainly helped though! ;)

I really enjoyed my time in London, and it was great meet up with people that I’d chatted to for so long online!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home